Experience with Groundwater Recharge Programs

Discusión sobre todos los aspectos de abastecimiento de agua potable.

Experience with Groundwater Recharge Programs

Postby MichaelHawkins » 14 May 2009 20:31

Does anyone have any experience of groundwater recharge programs and can point me in the right direction of some good technical resources? Our rural water supply programs in NE Afghanistan are seeing water tables dropping at rates of up to 1m per year and I'm wondering what practical interventions can be used to reverse the trend. I'm planning to install some of those 'diver' water level data loggers so we can get a better picture of the daily, seasonal and overall year to year trends. In the meantime I would be particularly interested in the feasibility of using checkdams to slow meltwater streams down enough to facilitate recharge of the aquifers. Of couse regulation of excessive fossil groundwater mining for irrigation would be the solution but we all know that this is something that isn't going to happen for at least another decade.
MichaelHawkins

National Flag: Uganda

Re: Experience with Groundwater Recharge Programs

Postby CompostToiletsRock » 27 Jun 2009 08:09

Michael - do you have a link for those borehole water level dataloggers by any chance?
CompostToiletsRock

National Flag: United States of America

Postby MichaelHawkins » 27 Jun 2009 08:26

Sure they are made by Van Essen http://www.swstechnology.com/groundwater-monitoring/groundwater-dataloggers/micro-diver. Just configure the data recording frequency, drop it in the borehole and come back every 6 months (or whenever) to collect your data.

MichaelHawkins

National Flag: Uganda

Postby Tweezer » 18 Jul 2009 22:09

Michael - I would take a look at the IGRAC (International Groundwater Resources Assessment Centre) pages on artificial recharge http://www.igrac.net/publications/155 where they look at infiltration ponds and basins, flooding, infiltration ditches, furrows and drains, induced bank infiltration, well, shaft and borehole infiltration, as well as recharge dams, sub surface dams, sand dams, and runoff harvesting (barriers, bunds and trenches). There is also the International Association of Hydrologists Managed Aquifer Recharge website http://www.iah.org/recharge/. Happy surfing!
Tweezer

Postby FairWater » 18 Jul 2009 22:34

@ Michael,

Falling groundwater levels are a problem, easy to monitor, difficult to solve. If the reason is indeed not overexploiting the aquifer by a local farm with irrigation pumps, the reason is probably less rain over a prolonged period. My professional background is hydrogeology and i did several studies in Burkina Faso to this phenomena. The results are not encouraging. Infilration rates with slopes less than 5% are in the order of 95% of the precipitation for larger catchments, so it looks ok, but only several rainy days may give a recharge through piping; percolation recharge in soil moistures is limited and liable to evapo(transpi)ration.

You just can hope that a next period will come with more rain, and levels will raise again for a while.

Best is to locate your wells in the scarce recharge areas, which are located along river beds, especially when the rivers are in hardrock and change course, which may indicate a fractured zone. Building some dams directly upstream of these wells may help, but make these dams extreamly strong, we had some dams just washed away with the 1 in 100 year flood that came the next year of course!

It goes without saying, that when you use handpumps, you better use a durable handpump like the Afripump, that does not need spare parts, see our website http://www.handpump.org
FairWater Foundation promotes BlueZones with the durable BluePump

www.fairwater.org
FairWater

National Flag: Netherlands
Years of WASH Experience: 25
WASH Country Experience: All over Africa
WASH Work Experience: See www.fairwater.org

Postby henkholtslag » 27 Sep 2009 07:12

Dear Micheal

Regarding Groundwater recharge. It maybe interesting to try the so called Tube recharge system
In Zambia and Zimbabwe they use this near hand dug wells that dry up at the end
of the dry season. Families that made a tube recharge, combined with vertiver grass
now have water in thier well all year round. More investigation is needed but it maybe worth to try
It consist of a small pond 10 meters formthe well, of 1 to 3 m3 and a hole of 2 inch of
5 to 10 meters deep. Every time it rains, 1 to 3 m3 water is recharged. Total cost 5 to 10US$
More information on www.connectinternational.nl

Greetings
Henk Holtslag
henkholtslag

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Merlin » 01 Oct 2009 15:37

Here's an extract from Henk's recharge system for the curious...

Tube Recharge.jpg

Ground Water Recharge (Connect).pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 321 times
Merlin

Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Cyberspace
WASH Work Experience: WaterSanitationHygiene

Postby salika » 12 Oct 2009 23:06

Fluctuation of groundwater levels are a problem, but easy to monitor and difficult to solve. If the reason is indeed not over exploiting the aquifer by a local farm with irrigation pumps, the reason is probably less rain over a prolonged period. My professional background is hydrogeology and i did several studies in Sri lanka.

Contact Me

www.watsansrilanka.blogspot.com

www.bandaranayake.ewebsite.com

totalwatsansrilanka@gmail.com
salika

Postby salika » 27 Dec 2010 18:07

Fluctuation of groundwater levels are a problem, but easy to monitor and difficult to solve. If the reason is indeed not over exploiting the aquifer by a local farm with irrigation pumps, the reason is probably less rain over a prolonged period. My professional background is hydrogeology and i did several studies in Sri lanka.

Contact Me

http://www.tubewellsrilanka.yolasite.com
salika

Return to 1. Agua