best auto-shutoff or sanitary taps, for gravity fed? 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on pipe and fittings types, specifications, looped and branched network design, computer design software, installation, maintenance, pressure testing, leak detection, water hammer, gravity flow, fire flow, peak flow, intermittent systems, etc.

best auto-shutoff or sanitary taps, for gravity fed?

Postby RotaryStewart » 19 Oct 2012 15:07

I generally work with Rotary clubs in several developing countries; also with an emergency prep group in Oregon, US. Imagine dry climate, water is very precious. Need a good source for low-pressure gravity-fed water taps that either:
(1) automatically shut off or
(2) easily touched by a cleaned hand to shutoff.
The typical plastic tap with twist valve, or even a lever, is not satisfactory. (It's a constant source for transfer of contamination. Yes, I'm aware of training, using towels, etc.)

Ideally the tap would be auto timed, e.g. a 5 sec flow. Touch it twice, first to wet hands, then to rinse - it's automatically off the rest of the time. The few of these timer taps I've seen rely on significant pressure, e.g. 15-30 psi (half bar or more; forget the modern electric-eye types.) I think a good design might have a sturdy plastic paddle attached to a spring ball valve - you push up the paddle, water flows; release your hand pressure, it stops.

There is a two-bucket method using a rubber float ball and valve assembly - see attached. But this doesn't translate well to a tap at the end of a plastic pipe run, in a low-pressure gravity system.

Any advice or guidance much appreciated ...
Stew

0 Ratings (0.01 Stars out of 6.0) 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 
19 Oct 2012 15:07

Attachments
Handwash buckets.pdf
Two bucket handwash station with rubber ball
(924.31 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
RotaryStewart

National Flag: United States of America
Years of WASH Experience: 8
WASH Country Experience: Indonesia, India, Honduras, Guatemala, and USA.
WASH Work Experience: Rotary International, The Rotary Foundation, Wasrag, variety of NGOs including World Vision.

Return to 1.6 Piped Water Schemes