Hydraulic Ram 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on pump selection, centrifugal pumps, submersible pumps, ram pumps, wind pumps, solar pumps, pumping curves, system curves, duty points, altitude derating, temperature derating, humidity derating, cost recovery analysis, maintenance, etc.

Hydraulic Ram

Postby Tom_Heath » 19 Dec 2013 10:17

Does anyone have any experience installing hydraulic rams as I’m planning to install one in DRC and have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a minimum ratio for the slope of the drive pipe (length/height) – ACF recommends a maximum of 7 (ACF Module 6 Hydraulic Ram Systems) but no minimum (I have a site with a ratio of 2.3)
2. The ram purchased requires a flow of 137 l/minute (2.3 l/s) and has a 75mm connection for the drive pipe. The supplier informed me the drive pipe needs to be 75mm. But a 75mm pipe with a fall of 15m can carry 9 l/s, when the ram only requires 2.3 l/s. Will the ram limit the flow to 2.3 l/s (averaged over a minute) due to the action of the non-return valves? The alternative is to use small pipes with a reducer which only carry 2.3 l/s (50 mm)
3. How do you control the angle of the GI Drive pipe to ensure a good connection to the ram? As if the ram is mounted perpendicular to a slab and the drive pipe enters parallel (as per the general design – but it first comes down a slope), is it normal to install a 45 degree elbow at the base of the slope?

Cheers

0 Ratings (0.01 Stars out of 6.0) 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 
19 Dec 2013 10:17

Tom_Heath

Years of WASH Experience: 3
WASH Country Experience: Zambia, Kenya, Madagascar, Liberia, DR Congo
WASH Work Experience: Cranfield University, ACF, Tearfund, WSUP

Return to 1.11 Water Pumping