Evaluation of Water Treatment Kits. 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on chlorination, slow sand filtration, micro filtration, nano filtration, UV irradiation, desalination, reverse osmosis, roughing filtration, charcoal filtration, sedimentation, coagulation and flocculation, solar distillation, compact water treatment unit performance, etc.

Evaluation of Water Treatment Kits.

Postby Jonnie3430 » 28 Dec 2010 17:41

Hello,

I'm writing a dissertation on "An Evaluation and Review of Water Treatment Kits for Humanitarian Emergencies." It is intended to be an up to date reference document on the kits available at the moment so that buyers can see the pros and cons. I don't have the ability to test the kits, so have come up with a questionnaire that I am trying to get answered by both manufacturers and users to get a balanced view of performance.

If anyone can answer(even just some of,) the questions, could they please email them to me. I am interested in additional comment, so don't hold back and if manufacturers want me to take a look at their product, either send me their kit to test (University of Glasgow, address on request,) or answer the questionnaire.

Kits that I would like to include in the dissertation are:

LMS
Scan Water
Elga-Berkfeld
Sky Juice Foundation
Noah Water Systems
Seta
JOSAB Aqualite System
Karcher
AquaCube
Aquaplus

Questions are as follows:

1. If functional failure is defined in 3 ways:
a. Greater than 5 NTU in treated water.
b. 1 or more faecal coliforms per 100ml of treated water.
c. Rate of production of treated water is less than 1m3 per hour.

At NTU values of 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500, how long will the unit operate until functional failure occurs and how much water will have been produced?

2. Once functional failure has occurred, how long does it take to restore the unit to efficient working condition?

3. What is the volume of the packed unit and what size vehicle is needed for its transport?

4. What is the weight of the individual packed components?

5. How long does it take to set up and what manpower and skill level is required?

6. Please describe the manpower, skill level required to operate and the level of training required. (Is it easily taught to the local community?)

7. What is the projected lifespan of the unit?

8. What is the cost per unit including spares and consumables to allow use for one year?

9. What consumables (chemicals, filters, power, fuel, etc…) are required and what is the rate at which they are used?

10. Is Chlorine used as a disinfectant? If not is there any additional treatment that can be applied to disinfect water containers and prevent water contamination until use? What tests are performed to assess success of treatment?

0 Ratings (0.01 Stars out of 6.0) 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 
28 Dec 2010 17:41

Jonnie3430

Years of WASH Experience: 0
WASH Country Experience: Still student
WASH Work Experience: Student

Re: Evaluation of Water Treatment Kits.

Postby JKMakowka » 29 Dec 2010 13:28

I have practical experience with some systems mentioned (and had a close look at others), but I think you will need to specify this further... Elga-Berkefeld for example produces several completely different systems, and the JOSAB Aqualite system is also available in different sizes AFAIK.

Also some of these questions can not be answered quickly and need much more detailed specifications. Some systems require flocculation pretreatment etc, which is really dependent on specific water quality parameters (and that also highly effects things like costs, maintenance and skill required). Others are not really meant for mobile operation, but rather fixed installation, so it doesn't make much sense to compare these.

I am sorry to say so, but I don't think a realistic picture of the different systems can be given over the internet like this, and you will probably have to sit down with people using these systems and at best also see the systems in operation yourself if your want to paint a realistic picture about them.

Oh and the information you will get from the producers will always paint a WAY better picture that the reality, which I guess should go without saying.... but to put it more blunt: don't believe a word of it :)

Edit: Is this just for a quick study work, or meant for publication? If the former is true you could probably do an ok-ish work over the internet, but for a really longer work meant for publication the above applies. I can give you some basic quick information on some Elga-Berkefeld system, the JOSAB, the kaercher and the Skyjuice, but since I am quite busy right now this will not happen in the next few days.

0 Ratings (0.01 Stars out of 6.0) 0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars).0 Ratings (0.0 Stars). 
JKMakowka

National Flag: Germany
Years of WASH Experience: 5
WASH Country Experience: Nepal, Pakistan, Vietnam, Bénin
WASH Work Experience: Various

Re: Evaluation of Water Treatment Kits.

Postby Jonnie3430 » 30 Dec 2010 09:33

Dear JK Makowka,

It is the mobile kits that I am interested in and I hope to gain the extra points on functionality in use from those who have experience of the kits. It's not for publication, but it'll be available to anyone who wants a copy once finished.

I would be very interested in the information that you offer, and would be grateful if you could send it my way.

Jonnie

Jonnie3430

Years of WASH Experience: 0
WASH Country Experience: Still student
WASH Work Experience: Student

Return to 1.13 Water Treatment