Inclined Plate Clarifier / Sedimenter Design Parameters 1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on chlorination, slow sand filtration, micro filtration, nano filtration, UV irradiation, desalination, reverse osmosis, roughing filtration, charcoal filtration, sedimentation, coagulation and flocculation, solar distillation, compact water treatment unit performance, etc.

Inclined Plate Clarifier / Sedimenter Design Parameters

Postby NikHanson » 11 Jul 2010 09:16

I was thinking about having a go at building an inclined plate clarifier for a small community (9,885 people) surface water treatment plant that has increased turbidities (up to 350 NTU) during three months of the year. In other communities in Ethiopia we have built sedimentation basins but it has always bothered me that they end up being enormous and I wanted to try something that would acheive the same result at reduced size and cost. I've looked on the internet and can't seem to find a reference with the required design parameters (plate spacing, hydraulic loading, flow rates etc.). Can some kind soul point me in the right direction. Much appreciated. Nik.

1 Ratings (4.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars). 
11 Jul 2010 09:16

Last edited by NikHanson on 16 Aug 2010 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
NikHanson

Re: Inclined Plate Clarifier / Sedimenter Design Parameters

Postby Caetano Dorea » 12 Jul 2010 03:13

Here's a start: Demir A. (1995). "Determination of settling efficiency and optimum plate angle for plated settling tanks" Water Research, vol 29 (2): 611-616 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 60eaf24fa7)
Make sure you can ensure you have a constant (or as close to constant) of a flow as possible.

1 Ratings (4.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars).1 Ratings (4.0 Stars). 
Caetano Dorea

Postby Caetano Dorea » 12 Jul 2010 12:04

This may also be useful: http://sites.google.com/site/cuaguaclara/research#PS

Caetano Dorea

Postby HappyPlumber » 11 Aug 2010 09:29

Nik - I'm not aware of any technical documentation for inclined plate sedimentors however I do have a picture of a unit that has been used by MSF in the field. The unit is euro pallet size (80cm x 120cm) and it appears that the plate spacing is around 4cm with an inclination of around 45 degrees. No idea what sort of flow rates can be used although I understand that the unit was reasonably effective - much better than simply batch treating with alum. Hope this helps.

Attachments
Inclined-Plate-Sedimentor.jpg
HappyPlumber

National Flag: Great Britain
Years of WASH Experience: 10
WASH Country Experience: Albania, Afghanistan, Burundi, Chad, DRC, Ethiopia, Georgia, Guatemala, Haiti, Indonesia, Myanmar, N. Caucasus, Pakistan, Sudan, Thailand, Tibet
WASH Work Experience: Water for People, MSF-B, IRC, UNICEF, MDM, ACF.

Postby NikHanson » 13 Aug 2010 21:04

Thanks Caetano and HappyPlumber, I've been out of internet access for a while and it was really encouraging to get a reply. I have to confess that maybe I have misunderstood a little how inclined plate clarifiers work as what I am really after for our work here is a simple design that works without chemicals (alum). Any ideas?

NikHanson

Postby trishincyberspace » 14 Aug 2010 14:47

G'day Nik,

If you are concerned about possible side effects of chemicals such as alum, perhaps an alternative is to use a Mexican cactus Opintia Ficus India as a coagulant. I have never used it and know nothing about it, but at a WASH cluster meeting in Haiti there was a very interesting presentation about using this cactus to clarify water. I found an interesting paper about it at this website: http://www.mrs.org/s_mrs/bin.asp?CID=64 ... C=FILE.PDF

trishincyberspace

National Flag: Australia
Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Guatemala, Montserrat, Timor-Leste, Australia, Chad, Mali, Zambia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Sierra Leone
WASH Work Experience: Tecnologia Para la Salud, NGO Loke Dalan, Centre for Appropriate Technology (Australia), Oxfam GB, Mercy Corps, ACF, Concern Worldwide, Partners in Health

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Caetano Dorea » 15 Aug 2010 06:52

Nik,
Plate settlers will still work without alum, but less efficiently (this will be largely dependent on the source water characteristics). Anyhow, as you want to go chemical free, the next step up the treatment train ladder is a filtration system. Roughing (gravel) filters combined with slow sand filters can provide you with a good chemical-free system, but this may be more than what you want. Although they are relatively easy to operate and there are plenty of design guidelines available. Otherwise, I'd say it will be hard (in the short term) to find something more cost-effective than batch coagulation with alum; unless sourcing the alum is the issue.
That said, I'd just add to trishincyberspace's reply... I'd be very careful before considering something like this Mexican cactus, specially if not much is known about its use (albeit an interesting solution). As far as coagulants go, alum is probably your best option... it's easy to learn to use, does the job reasonably well, relatively widely-available and cheap, and (most importantly) has no known adverse effects on health. There is plenty of literature on this. Anyhow, this is also a topic covered in other posts on this forum.

Caetano Dorea

Postby NikHanson » 15 Aug 2010 08:15

Trish and Caetano, thanks again this is all really helpful to me. I think I now need to go away and spend the rest of Sunday reading and doing some calculating. Thanks for the encouragement!! :D

NikHanson

Postby tabero » 08 Sep 2010 18:10

hey, please check http://sites.google.com/site/cuaguaclara/home/... there you will find very good information about your specific case.

Good luck

tabero

Years of WASH Experience: 3
WASH Country Experience: Spain (Emergency water supply), Argentina, El Salvador (Small Communities Water Suply)
WASH Work Experience: Action Against Hunger Designer

Next

Return to 1.13 Water Treatment