Aquaduct Water Treatment Bike 1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on chlorination, slow sand filtration, micro filtration, nano filtration, UV irradiation, desalination, reverse osmosis, roughing filtration, charcoal filtration, sedimentation, coagulation and flocculation, solar distillation, compact water treatment unit performance, etc.

Aquaduct Water Treatment Bike

Postby SharonKim » 18 Nov 2010 00:55

I really like this concept of a water bike to help move water and treat it at the same time as it is being transported.

1 Ratings (2.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars). 
18 Nov 2010 00:55

SharonKim

Years of WASH Experience: 2
WASH Country Experience: USA
WASH Work Experience: Engineers Without Borders

Re: Aquaduct Water Treatment Bike

Postby JKMakowka » 19 Nov 2010 05:09

Some critical remarks:

1. I doubt many water places are easily acessable by this trike
2. It will be quite heavy when filled, so I doubt small, light women and children will be able to drive with it (uphill)
3. When pushed (since it is too heavy to drive) there is likely no filtration
4. Impossible to repair with local means
5. Probably (by the look of it) way too expensive to scale up to more that a few test versions

Nice concept in theory, but I give it max. 6 months in the field before it will be a useless pile of scrap metal and plastic waste.

What people really need are simple low cost solutions that can be made (mostly) locally and thus also scale up.

1 Ratings (2.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars).1 Ratings (2.0 Stars). 
JKMakowka

National Flag: Germany
Years of WASH Experience: 5
WASH Country Experience: Nepal, Pakistan, Vietnam, Bénin
WASH Work Experience: Various

Re: Aquaduct Water Treatment Bike

Postby FreddyJ » 26 Jan 2012 23:32

It looks similar to the Midomo water filtration device except it looks like it is designed to be pushed or pulled by hand. I would think pushing the trike may power the filtration device but I do agree that in most places, riding the bike wouldn't be practical and pushing it would be awkward. I think the idea of the wheels powering the filtration is interesting and perhaps practical in ideal locations where the land is flat and somewhat firm.

Freddy James - modifying refrigerator water filters to work in the field
FreddyJ

Years of WASH Experience: 2
WASH Country Experience: USA
WASH Work Experience: NA

Return to 1.13 Water Treatment