Latrine Emptying 1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on on-site excreta collection and treatment systems, twin pit latrines, composting latrines, septic tanks, evapotranspiration beds, urine diverting latrines, biogas divesters, pathogen die-off rates etc.

Latrine Emptying

Postby Mark » 25 Jul 2009 23:13

Hi all

I'm really please to find this forum for the discussion of sanitation and water issues. I'm hoping someone out there may have some ideas/useful stuff on a research project I'm working on.

Based out in South Africa I'm currently developing prototype tools and pumps for latrine-desludging. Chris Buckley (one of the authors of the presentation uploaded on the other topic On Site Latrine Additives to Reduce Volume) is on the research team with me which brings; academics, consultant and design engineers, doctors and others from SA and wider afield togther to address the issues of what 'to do when a latrine is full'. Chris frames the problem concisely at the end of the presentation;

"there is a risk that the large-scale roll-out of low-cost, on-site dry systems that are poorly designed and poorly understood will not assist in achieving MDG and national targets, but rather prove unsustainable, fail to improve quality of life and create new problems for policy makers and service providers when they fill up or fail."

As a Mech Eng my focus is designing of tooling and low cost equipment to aid the labourers that we hire to empty the latrines and ensure that it is done in a way that does not endanger their health.

I have a number of prototypes and design ideas that will be developed and concluded over the coming months. I just want to ask;
-is any one interested in this out side of SA? - contact me and i can send you photos and things of the aids once they are completed.
-Does anyone have any ideas of technologies already used for this work?

I am already well aware of; Vacuum tankers, micro vacuum tankers (like the Un-Habitat Vacutug - which we have one of), the Dung Beetle, The Microvac, The Maqunieta - Maputo, applications with diaphragm pumps, the MAPET System, and finally the Gulper and Nibbler developed by Steve Sugden in England. But even though I'm aware of these techs, I only have limited info on them so if you are able to forward or direct me to sources for further info on these or other machine I would be very grateful.

The approach that I am currently taking is to
1- provide digging tools and a pump (very like - or just he same as the gulper) to aid manual emptying
2- produce a low cost vacuum pump similar in principle to the MAPET but using a small petrol engine
3- open to suggestions.

I think that about covers what I'm up to! As I said Prototypes will start to roll out the shop in the coming months and field testing should be done by the end of the year so contact me if you would like further info.

1 Ratings (5.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars). 
25 Jul 2009 23:13

Mark

Re: Latrine Emptying

Postby CompostToiletsRock » 26 Jul 2009 20:09

In Burundi the Ministry of Education standard is a desludgable latrine (a fully lined double brick pit wall with percolation hole and an unsealed base). Over the years we have desludged a fair number. Usually desludging requires a supply of water to liquefy the latrine contents both before the event (ideally the contents should be left for at least a day to soak) and during the event to help slurrify the contents. We've tried centrifugal and 3.5" diaphragm pumps. We find the diaphragm pumps work much better. The centrifugal ones tend to rapidly suck away the liquids and leave the solids behind. The diaphragm pumps tend to gulp away slowly taking both solids and liqids. The diaphragm pumps also have the advantage that they can snorkle (i.e. they can run dry with no risk of overheating). We've never had to transport the sludge so I can't comment on that, we basically pump the contents up to 30 meters to a new hole.

If you are interested in a manual septic tank desludging I would contact Angelica Fleischer (afleischer@oxfam.org.uk) about Oxfam's poo-pump experience in Indonesia.

1 Ratings (5.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars).1 Ratings (5.0 Stars). 
CompostToiletsRock

National Flag: United States of America

Postby Merlin » 26 Jul 2009 20:58

For those that are interested here is some more information on Oxfam's poo pump.

1. Manual Desludging Handpump Manual
2. Manual Desludging Handpump Materials List
3. Manual Desludging Handpump Technical Drawings

Poo Pump #3.jpg
Poo Pump #3.jpg (21.01 KiB) Viewed 11867 times
Poo Pump #1.jpg
Poo Pump #1.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 11865 times
Poo Pump #2.jpg
Poo Pump #2.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

Merlin

Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Cyberspace
WASH Work Experience: WaterSanitationHygiene

Postby Mark » 27 Jul 2009 13:47

Hi Thanks for the great info, I think this is a version of the 'gulper' that Steve Sugden produced (who is associated with our team), but I will certainly contact Angelica to learn more.

This pump is great and certainly solves the problems with emptying pits full of wet wastes. We have one of these pumps in SA (or one very like it). What we need is something that is able to help with the dry stuff. Check out the power point up loaded by To Happy in the On Site Latrine Additives to Reduce Volume post and you will see photo's of the sort of latrines we are trying to empty.

If anyone has any ideas of tools or machines that could be used to help empty these sorts of pits with out the operators coming into direct contact with the waste then it would be great to hear suggestions or be directed towards some existing solutions. In the mean time I will continue my design work on new tools and devices.

Mark

Postby GWoods » 29 Apr 2010 05:51

Interesting to see the Poo Pump being used to desludge directly into 40 liter buckets. How about using the poo pump with this technology (the Waste Water Porter) as a better solution. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt the poo pump so it could connect directly to the barrel. The shit could then easily be transported without risk of spillage. It would work great in high density urban slum where conventional sludge trucks cannot access the latrine.

Waste Water Porter.jpg
Waste Water Porter.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 11677 times

GWoods

Postby Brian Mathew » 31 May 2010 10:05

Dear Mark,

An important topic, I wonder if you have access to a workshop of some kind? I would like to suggest some experimentation with an archimedes screw made out of steel with a diameter of around 8 inches and a length so that it will reach the base of the tank/pit that you are trying to empty. This could then be fitted with a hand crank, a securing handle and a spout at the top so that one worker could turn the handle, while another holds the device in position (with the securing handle) while as the third directs the disgorged material into a suitable container via the spout. It should be able to act as a digging tool as well as a de-sludger provided it is robust enough, so a 'cutting edge' might be needed where the base of the screw interfaces with the sludge/solids in the pit. Worth a try?

Regards

Dr. Brian Mathew

Brian Mathew

ADVERTISEMENT

Water Treatment Engineer
(T-Shirt)

Instant Plumber - Just Add Coffee
(T-Shirt)

I'm Here to Lay Pipe
(T-Shirt)

Save Water
(T-Shirt)

Don't Sleep With a Drip Tonight
(T-Shirt)

Postby Wayne » 31 May 2010 13:43

Hi Mark

Our company is busy with a school pilot project in the Eastern Cape and we would definetley be interested in any "new" machines that you intend developing. At present we use different methods for different types of sanitation systems.

Should you require any further information , please do not hesitate to contact me.

Wayne

Wayne

Postby janheeger » 06 Jul 2010 11:35

Have a look at
http://www.waste.nl/page/1493 you can find an latrine emtying device once developed for Tanzania.

janheeger

Years of WASH Experience: 0
WASH Country Experience: Albania, Algeria, DRC, Kenya, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
Short Missions in realtion to WASH:Afghanistan, Botswana, Burundi, Ethiopia, Guinea, Haiti, Ivory Coast, Kosovo, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Namibia, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan (North and South), Tajikistan, Turkmenistan. Uzbekistan, Zimbabwe
WASH Work Experience: MSF-H, Oxfam GB, ICRC, UNICEF, WASTE

Postby AndyBastable » 08 Jul 2010 09:58

Dear All

Having trialed the poo pump and the gulper in a number of countries we (Oxfam GB) have now stopped using it in favour of the hand operated diaphragm pump. Produced in India and Bangladesh for around U$ 300 it can suck slurry from approximaltey 4m depth and deliver 20m or so to a collection vessel or pit. It is a far easier desludging technique than the poo pump. Attached is a small evaluation from Bangladesh on the pump.

Andy

Attachments
Desludging_BS.doc
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 642 times
AndyBastable

Next

Return to 2.4 On-Site Excreta Collection and Treatment