PHAST Evidence Base 1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on PHAST techniques, practical exercises, evaluations, limitations, resources, training materials etc.

PHAST Evidence Base

Postby JoanneLeaching » 29 Aug 2009 06:16

I would be interested to hear if anyone has come across any scientific papers (case control type studies) that show the impact of the PHAST methodology. We have been using it for a while with limited success. There appear to be so many hygiene promotion newcomers on the behavior change scene that I'm wondering if we should be continuing to use PHAST or should be considering another model.

1 Ratings (3.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars). 
29 Aug 2009 06:16

JoanneLeaching

Re: PHAST Evidence Base

Postby Fassie » 10 Sep 2009 16:54

Interesting post. We often find that communities can quickly identify risks in their surroundings and can come up with a community diarrheal disease reduction plan but then stumble as they lack the resources to take action (how can you expect an increase in handwashing when people have an hours walk to collect water). I woul be interested to hear if anyone has combined PHAST with a small community subgrant for a micro project.

The only contributons to the PHAST evidence base that I can find are the following.

1. PHAST was extensively piloted in four African countries (Kenya,
Botswana, Uganda and Zimbabwe) during 1993.
2. A randomized controlled trial was carried out in the Kyrgyz Republic
in 2003 and showed a 68% reduction in Guardia in school children.
3. An evaluation of a PHAST program in Malawi (DeGabriele, 2004)
showed that PHAST was being used as a hygiene promotion tool
but not as a community development tool.

1 Ratings (3.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars). 
Fassie

Return to 3.2 Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST)