Use of composting toilets during cholera outbreaks 1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on Diarrheas and Dysenteries, Amoebic Dysentery, Balantidiasis, Campylobacter Enteritis, Cholera, Cryptosporidiosis, E. coli diarrhea, Giardiasis, Rotavirus diarrhoea, Salmonellosis, Shigellosis, Yersiniosis, Enteric Fevers including Typhoid, Paratyphoid, Poliomyelitis, Hepatitis A, and Leptospirosis etc.

Use of composting toilets during cholera outbreaks

Postby trishincyberspace » 16 Dec 2010 16:58

Dear WASH professionals,

Does anyone know of any documented studies which have been carried out to determine the safety and usefulness of composting latrines/toilets during cholera epidemics?

Thank for any pointers in the right direction.

Have a lovely day.
Trish In Cyberspace

1 Ratings (3.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars). 
16 Dec 2010 16:58

trishincyberspace

National Flag: Australia
Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Guatemala, Montserrat, Timor-Leste, Australia, Chad, Mali, Zambia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Sierra Leone
WASH Work Experience: Tecnologia Para la Salud, NGO Loke Dalan, Centre for Appropriate Technology (Australia), Oxfam GB, Mercy Corps, ACF, Concern Worldwide, Partners in Health

Re: Use of composting toilets during cholera outbreaks

Postby cdawggy » 17 Dec 2010 07:22

Although I can't comment on the rate of pathogen (i.e. vibrio cholerae) die-off in composting latrines in comparison to other latrines, it's worth bearing in mind that at the best of times any sort of handling of excreta is a hazardous activity. During a cholera outbreak, this should be an issue of particular concern.
If this is a "new" activity being introduced to the affected area, I'd be a bit hesitant with regards to recommending its widespread use.

1 Ratings (3.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars).1 Ratings (3.0 Stars). 
cdawggy

Re: Use of composting toilets during cholera outbreaks

Postby trishincyberspace » 19 Dec 2010 22:14

Hello cdawggy,

Thanks for your posting. I agree with you that it should be very very carefully considered, so I wanted to carry out a 'literature review' to see if anyone else had carried a study regarding their use during cholera epidemics.To date, no such studies have surfaced.

Have a lovely day.
Trish In Cyberspace

trishincyberspace

National Flag: Australia
Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Guatemala, Montserrat, Timor-Leste, Australia, Chad, Mali, Zambia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Sierra Leone
WASH Work Experience: Tecnologia Para la Salud, NGO Loke Dalan, Centre for Appropriate Technology (Australia), Oxfam GB, Mercy Corps, ACF, Concern Worldwide, Partners in Health

Return to 5.1 Water Borne Diseases