Low Cost Drilling 1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars). 

Forum for discussion on hand drilling, machine drilling, augering, sludging, jetting, driven wells, reverse sludging, vonder rigs, rotary and percussion drilling rigs, drilling bits, drilling techniques, drilling fluids, down the hole hammers, stone hammer drilling, baptist sludging, EMAS drilling, pounder rigs, compressors, well lining, well development, yield testing, etc.

Low Cost Drilling

Postby hulk101 » 04 Jul 2009 12:49

There was a lot of discussion on low-cost drilling about 10 years ago with the aim of reducing borehole and equipment costs to the point where local rigs were affordable, made locally, and drilling would make money for local people rather than the overseas drilling rig manufacturers.

Anyone hve any idea what became of the dream?

1 Ratings (6.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars). 
04 Jul 2009 12:49

hulk101

Re: Low Cost Drilling

Postby mzconsult » 19 Jul 2009 15:47

Dear

Since years I am hearing about this topic, each time i wish to share with others my experience in manual drilling which I was practicing - as a contractor - to drill shallow wells up to 150 ft with diameters up to 12 inchs. of course these figures are applied for sedimentary aquifers [sandy clayey] only.
if you are interested in the subject and need more details please contact me at mzconsult@gmail.com.

I am an Egyptian Consulting Engineer in this field, worked as water supply officer, UNICEF Cairo office.

1 Ratings (6.0 Stars out of 6.0) 1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars).1 Ratings (6.0 Stars). 
mzconsult

Postby FairWater » 19 Jul 2009 16:31

Indeed there was a lot of discussions, also on HTN forum, but no clear results apart from some experiments with a sludge drilling on a tripod, which is nice locally, but not for upscaling.

With the Afripump however, FairWater introduced an interesting option, which is the casing pump. see attachment. This works as follows:

You make a borehole, and in stead of first putting in the casing with screens (diameter 4 inch), you directly put in the afri rising main (diameter 70/80mm) and a well screen below, which is made from the same pvc pipes. You finish the boreholelike any other borehole with a casing, garvel pack etc, whatever you want.

On top of the screens, there will be a small V-shaped or conical seat, that will hole the complete cylinder. After all is completed. you just lower the cylinder with the rods inside the "casing" and mount the blue box with the handle and start pumping, directly from the casing.

We have tried this in mexico, (contact SPannu@energold.com for details) with a small protable rig that drills 3,5inch and it works amazingly simple. Obvious, the whole operation is faster and less expensive, because you do not have to buy and install the normal 4inch casing and less material to transport anyway.

i know already that some people will say, that in this case, it is difficult to use the borehole "later" for a larger pump, but that is in fact not realistic. Only in rare cases i have seen that people actually take out a handpump in a community and put in an electrical pump.

It will also work perfect with very deep boreholes as well as witha small hand drilled well, just buy the handpump and make a hole and put it in, easy going and count your savings, up to 1.500 $ per borehole in dep wells!

Attachments
Afri casing pump with threaed pipes-01.pdf
Afripump casing option
(95.86 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
FairWater Foundation promotes BlueZones with the durable BluePump

www.fairwater.org
FairWater

National Flag: Netherlands
Years of WASH Experience: 25
WASH Country Experience: All over Africa
WASH Work Experience: See www.fairwater.org

Postby Merlin » 24 Jul 2009 23:07

Fairwater -I tracked down your friend in Mexio and he forwarded this information about his portable rig. It doesn't particularly look like a low cost rig - it that the one you meant?

Attachments
EGD Water Well Drilling Brochure.pdf
(224.84 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Mexican Rig.jpg
Merlin

Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Cyberspace
WASH Work Experience: WaterSanitationHygiene

Postby FairWater » 25 Jul 2009 08:17

Low cost drilling rigs

It is not so much about the cost of the rig, a cheap rig doesnt last long and cannot drill deep.

so you have to spread out the cost of any rig over the number of borehols you make with it, the time it takes and the depths it goes.

what we point out, is, that no watter what rig, if you use the Afri-casing pump, you do not need ADDITIONAL borehole casing, because the rising main PVC pipes of the Afri is already the casing, while below the cylinder pipe, the pipes continue with a screen. After installation of these casing rising main, you install the cylinder and the rods. very simple, cheap and fast...

i agree, it is completely "out of the box" but it works perfect, we just have to get used to this new methode and it will be standard procedure soon!

FairWater.org

Attachments
Afri casing pump with threaed pipes-01.pdf
(95.86 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
FairWater Foundation promotes BlueZones with the durable BluePump

www.fairwater.org
FairWater

National Flag: Netherlands
Years of WASH Experience: 25
WASH Country Experience: All over Africa
WASH Work Experience: See www.fairwater.org

Postby Mark » 25 Jul 2009 23:06

Hi

My name is Mark I've spent the last year volunteering as an Engineers Without Boarders UK (EWB-UK) volunteer in South Africa for a company called Partners in Development. www.pid.co.za.

Part of my work there is managing our low cost drilling teams. The rigs we use are "Vonder Rigs" which where purchased from V & W engineering in Zimbabwe in the 1990's and continue to be used today! Two where purchased then and two more similar models where built by us with local fabricators help around 2004.

One of these rigs was sent to the DRC and the other was kept by us (giving us three drilling teams!). In all the rigs have drilled hundreds of holes in the coastal area where we work. Based in Mbazwana we are near to Sodwana Bay (can be found by googling it!) we drill in the sandy soils which are characteristic of the area to a depth of 20m (the limit of these rigs). Auger drills a 5" hole which is cased with a 110mm PVC Pipe slotted over the first 4m. The cost of the borehole is about Rand 3500 but varies with depth and transport costs. For our pumps installed with charitable funding we instal manual rope and washer pumps for the empoverished in the local area. For those who are able to pay for the borehole we can equip them with elec sub pumps.

As an EWB-UK volunteer I am accutely aware of the challenges of disseminating appropriate technology solutions. I feel farely confident that a number of low cost rigs where produced to meet the 'dream' mentioned above but they just haven't been succesfully communicated out. This web page;

http://www.wateraid.org/international/w ... s/2060.asp

Shows a picture of the rig and represents about the best info that can be found over the net on the tech. Note; it is an augering rig so is only really able to drill through sand or soil. It can't penetrate rock (but can tackle cravel etc OK) and starts to get hard work in clays especially at long drill rod lenghts. Once we hit the water table we then bail the casing a few meters into the water able.

I feel it would be great to get some engineering drawings done of the rigs for easy and rapid dissemination however we would currently struggle to find funding for this. Hopefully sometime soon perhaps.

In terms of costs of the rigs our fabricator would currently estimate that we could fabricate one for eqivalent $2000 (for us) but would greatly depend on who did the work. The main issues/challenges with making the rig are the threads on the drill roads and access to decent steel/machinary. The only complaint I've ever had with the rigs is its weight its a little over designed for the type of drilling we do (which is mostly through sand) as such we are interested in producing a 'slimmed down' version of the rig if we can find someone keen to fund it.

In the past we tried modifying one of the manual rigs to a manual mud rotary rig which was very successful enabling much faster drilling. A manually drilled hole to 20m would could take a week or more, the mud pump cuts this to a day and enables drilling even deeper (30m perhaps?). This then evolved into a low cost mud rotary rig built by one of our engineers approx cost Rand 100 000 which can drill to 60m. Its similar but slightly lighter weight than the rig shown above.

I have just returned from a short trip to Sierra Leone where I visited a friend who is doing some percussion drilling with a local NGO "Rural Water Aid" based in Bo Town, this was an exciting and challenging trip which showed just how well resourced we are in South Africa but also how low cost drilling technologies are still needed. Seeing percussion drilling makes me think that there is huge potential for a combined augering and percussion rig this way covering the majority of soil types. They both need the trippod, the winche etc etc. Is there one out there already?

If you are interested in the above please contact me and I will try to help. If you have any info/drawings/instruction manuals on low cost drill rigs please also contact me. I CAD on solid works so 3D models are cool too.

P.s. http://www.akvo.org/wiki/index.php/Portal:Water has some nice stuff on low cost drilling techniques.

Mark

ADVERTISEMENT

Engineering in Emergencies
(Register of Engineers for Disaster Relief.)

Water Well Rehabilitation: A Practial Guide to Understanding Well Problems and Solutions
(Layne Geosciences)

Water Wells and Boreholes
(Wiley)

Siting Drilling and Construction of Water Wells
(American Water Works Association)

Drilling: The Manual of Methods Applications and Management
(Australian Drilling Assoc.)

Postby trishincyberspace » 08 Aug 2009 17:48

Greetings Hulk, Mark, Fairwater, Merlin and mzconsult,

In Mali we have drilled 68 low cost boreholes to date mostly using a hand auger, with work in progress on the 69th. We have a website http://www.sahelnutrition.org which has a 4-minute video about our work (in French only), however the summary on the RWSN website at
http://www.rwsn.ch/prarticle.2005-10-25 ... hterm=mali is probably more informative. All our low-cost drilling work has been funded by ECHO, the European Community Humanitarian Office, to help reduce malnutrition in Bamba and Temera, in the region of Gao.

There is excellent information about hand augered tubewells, including drawings to produce the augers, in the book "Hand Augered Garden Wells". See http://www.enterpriseworks.org/pubs/Han ... 0Wells.pdf This is the type of equipment we are currently using.

For more information about low cost hand drilling see http://www.rwsn.ch Rural Water Supply Network
See also http://www.enterpriseworks.org/pubs/Han ... %20NL4.pdf

The dream of creating employment for local people is alive and well. Currently we have a drilling team from the town of Gao (where our office is based) who are drilling 25 boreholes, and this week we hope to start training another four teams of four people from the villages of Bamba and Temera.

trishincyberspace

National Flag: Australia
Years of WASH Experience: 15
WASH Country Experience: Guatemala, Montserrat, Timor-Leste, Australia, Chad, Mali, Zambia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Sierra Leone
WASH Work Experience: Tecnologia Para la Salud, NGO Loke Dalan, Centre for Appropriate Technology (Australia), Oxfam GB, Mercy Corps, ACF, Concern Worldwide, Partners in Health

Postby hulk101 » 13 Aug 2009 18:22

Thanks for your contributions, this truly is a great conversation and has got me interested again in both augering and Vonder Rigs. Mark, I find it really inspiring that a Vonder Rig that was purchased in 1990 is still churning out boreholes. Fascinating to hear that you have managed to adapt it to a super cheap manual mud rotary rig for depths up to 60m. The only downside of the rig I can see is the initial capital costs that set it on the limits of most small scale drilling contractor's budgets and the limitations on geology. However with innovative financing (this sort of rig could be available on credit) it could easily be profitable especially if there is virtually no limit to the number of boreholes that can be drilled if the geology is suitable.

I would be very interesed to hear if you have a set of fabrication plans. I've always felt that the Vonder Rig technology should be available open source (or something that looks very similar to a Vonder Rig and does the same job).

Thanks again.

hulk101

Postby Mark » 13 Aug 2009 22:37

Hi Hulk

It seems that I will have to find time to do fabrication plans for our manual rigs. I have had interest from a group in Ghana who are interested in getting/making their own manual rig so to complete that work I would have to produce the fabrication drawings.

The main challenge at the moment is financing the work. I have one possible option for some funding however this wouldn't cover all of the costs of the project any ideas/options for funding sources would be appreciated.

cheers - Mark - UK Engineer in SA, currently in Ghana.

Mark

Next

Return to 1.3 Drilling